Sunday, September 8, 2013

FPV Bixler 2, not yet FPV


I have really only flown multicopters FPV up to this point. Three or four months ago I got to give it a try when a semi-local FPVer had his Bixler at the flying field. It seemed a bit more peaceful that the multicopters, so I decided I ought to add a fixed wing to my hangar.

In general, I had seen good things about the Bixler 2 so I ordered one. I put it together as per the instructions and finally got to fly it without FPV about 3 weeks ago. It flew great out of the box, and the long flight times compared to the multirotors are a definite plus.

After that first experience, I did find it was a bit of a big plane to haul around; especially if you didn't take care to make sure the spar didn't get glue on it during assembly. It barely fit into my dad's pickup cab, and I was curious if it would even fit into my two seater Honda Insight. This started the adventure for looking for mods, and I found I should of done this step prior to assembly.

I was able to fit it into my car pretty comfortably, so I decided I'd try to fly it again last week at our club meeting. This time it didn't go as well. When I plugged in the battery, I the motor just wanted to kick/cog. Thinking the cause had to be bad calibration of the ESC, I tried a couple times to calibrate it. No dice, so I pulled out the ESC to take a look, and found it to be very hot. I then checked the motor and noticed it was so hot it had melted the motor mount!

So, after I got back from the meeting I decided it was time to do some research and tear down.




As you can see I've removed the motor and mount. It's a little rough, but I figure I can just make a cowl to cover it later. I've looked into some motor upgrades and think I can come up with a solution using the laser cutter or 3d printer. Here are a few of the ideas I came across:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krTzT6Ss9W0

http://www.undcon.com/2012/03/24/bixler-motor-replacement/

I've also read that a better wing spar is pretty much necessary if carrying more weight or going any faster than stock. My spar is glued in so I had been debating the best way to get it out. After I had dug out part of one side with an exacto knife, It hit me that the picture hanging wire I had bought recently might do the job if pulled down the spar.


After digging out enough to get it under the spar, It worked beautifully!


I figured removable wings will make the thing more portable, so I'm going to work that into the 'upgrade' as well. This video shows the velcro concept I plan to use:



Now It's time to order parts!

No comments:

Post a Comment