Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Y6 Down again!

I had repaired my y6 in about 10 minutes and was eager to fly this last weekend. It was slightly windy out, but that was one of the things I had hoped my y6 would excel in compared to my quad. What I didn't consider was how my ground station would handle the wind...



I had the y6 in the air and was just getting used to it when the wind started to pick up and pushed over my ground station lid/screen. I had looked up to try to get the attention of my co-pilot/dad to hold the screen but he was busy watching the craft go down..





The damage report:



Scratched the lens, cracked the plastic in front of the LED, and generally beat up the GoPro, but it still seems to work normally.






Snapped the front right and back arms, and tweaked the back speed control mount.



These are the back motors removed. None of the props actually broke, two of them unscrewed themselves and flew off after spinning on the ground. They all got pretty dinged up as well, but will probably still work fine, though I intend to use some new ones and save these as a last resort.



This one received the brushed aluminum treatment.



The top rear motor wasn't spinning as freely as the other motors. This may have only been partially due to the crash though because of one or both of these:

 1. I may have over tightened one of my props on the motor bell in prior testing (It's sort of a no-no to tighten the props to the bell, but I chopped the threads off before I really thought about this..)

And/Or

2. There was some dirt build up on the bearing under the bell. I wonder if this motor had been used before I got it? You can see some hardened blue gunk on the bottom side of the bell and  magnets, and there is on the inside of the bell, as well as some marker like markings on some magnets. I put none of this stuff there.. 

Either way, I went to remove a shim from the bottom, but after wiping the dirt off of the bearing, it looked to have more clearance for the C clip, and after assembly it spun more freely..



After reassembly, I ran the motors a bit to check for bent shafts, but found none. Phew!

Almost  ready to fly again!

No comments:

Post a Comment